Sunday, August 16, 2009

Forever Memory Pin

In December 2008, I made a New Year’s resolution at OpenforHope.com that I would create a lapel pin, which would be a symbol of hopefulness for those who had experienced the loss of a loved one. By wearing this pin, it would honor the memory of their loved one. The person wearing the pin would also have an opportunity to speak about their grief to others. Sometimes it just helps to know others care and that they relate to your grief. Hopefully, the person that is wearing the pin would feel that they are not alone.

In our society grief is not spoken about or is hidden. I think all of us need the opportunity to speak about our grief, even if the grief is from a loss in the distant past. Since we do not wear black to show we are in mourning anymore, this pin would demonstrate our grieving in a subtle way and would be uplifting to those who wear it.

Well, this is one New Year’s resolution that I’ve kept. The pin is designed and I’ve named it the Forever Memory Pin. More news about the pin will follow. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Beth (Elizabeth) LaMie said...

Annette,
I love the idea of having a Memory Pin. It's a nice way to honor someone's memory and a lovely keepsake for family members.

If we still had the tradition of wearing black armbands after losing someone, people could/would/should be more sensitive to the grieving process.

I was reduced to tears just a few weeks after my mother passed away. A friend of hers from church came up to me and asked, "How is your dear Mother doing?"

Mom had died suddenly & unexpectedly in her sleep, but this elderly lady's memory failed her and we were both embarrassed when I reminded her that she was gone.

I'm looking forward to seeing more about your idea.

Beth
www.bethlamie.com