Sunday, February 22, 2009

Today marks my father's death two years ago

Today commemorates the 2nd year of my father’s death. I will always remember this date because it is a day before my birthday. I prayed that he would not die on my birthday but dying the day before my birthday is really not any better. I will always remember this date for the rest of my life as the day I lost my daddy.

My father was afraid of death but was prepared for it in a strange way. He had written his obituary many years before his death; picked the picture he wanted to attach to his death notice and had pre-paid for his mausoleum space (right below my mother's space).

Approximately one month before his death, he had quit eating. This was odd behavior for him because he loved to eat. He did not have an appetite and pushed food away and lost weight. He lacked mobility and balance. He was going downhill fast and entered Hospice. One week later he was gone. I would like to think that at the end he was not afraid of death at all but wanted to be with my mother who had died five months earlier.

So today, I fondly remember his beautiful smile, his loving words, and his wisdom. He was a mentor not only to my brother but also to me. He was a true example of what a father should be to his children. I know that he is happy in heaven with my mother.

No comments: