Friday, April 3, 2009

When Taking a Shower is Hurtful

Have you ever jumped into the shower with the hot water running and felt like the water stung your skin? Can you imagine having this sensation every time you took a shower no matter if the water was just at the right temperature?

For the last two years of my mother’s life every single time she took a shower she was in excruciating pain. We didn’t know why at the time. Perhaps it was my mother denying she had a horrible disease or she downplayed the fact that she was very ill or that she could handle the pain like she handled everything else in her life, with strength and dignity.

It was difficult for her to get out of the tub so that is why she opted for showers. I would buy her different body shower gels, lotions and creams to help with the pain, but to no avail. It didn’t matter what temperature the water was and what soap she used, it stung. Her skin had big brown blotches and it hurt to look at her skin which was oozing liquids. My siblings and I kept asking her what the doctors told her and she kept telling us that they didn’t know what was wrong with her. I went on several doctor visits with my mother and I think she hid how sick she was from them as well.

My mother had non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. She hid the diagnosis from me and my siblings for almost 1 ½ years. She hid it until the disease consumed her body and there was no denying she was very, very ill.

Who would have ever imagined that taking a shower would be hurtful.

No comments: